Black Rice With Mussels and Shrimp
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Beautiful dish taken from a Gourmet magazine and modified to fit anyones cooking ability.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped leeks or 1 cup onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs mussels, beards removed
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Combine the rice with equal amounts water and cook according to directions on package set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks or onions and cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and fennel seeds and continue cooking for another minute. Add the wine and cook over high heat until about half has been absorbed. Stir in tomatoes, salt and red pepper.
- Bring the tomato mixture to a boil. Add the mussels, cover and steam over high heat, shaking the pot occasionally, until the mussels open, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce the heat slightly, push the mussels aside and submerge shrimp in the liquid. Cook until the shrimp are uniformly cooked, 1 to 2 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- To serve transfer the rice with a slotted spoon among four large, shallow, individual soup bowls. Ladle the mussels (discard ANY unopened ones, shrimp and broth on top. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION