Black Forest Cake
- Ready In:
- 2 (20 ounce) cans tart pitted cherries, undrained
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 (9 inch) 9-inch layers of chocolate cake, baked and cooled
- 3 cups cold whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice.
- Combine reserved cherry juice, cherries, granulated sugar and cornstarch in saucepan.
- Cook and stir over low heat until thickened.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- Split each cake layer in half horizontally.
- Crumble one half layer, set aside.
- Beat cold whipping cream and the confectioner's sugar in large bowl with an electric mixer set at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups whipped cream for decorative piping.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate.
- Spread with 1 cup whipped cream; top with 3/4 cup cherry topping.
- Top with second cake layer, 1 cup whipped cream and 3/4 cup cherry topping; top with third cake layer.
- Frost cake sides with remaining whipped cream; pat gently with reserved cake crumbs.
- Spoon reserved 1 1/2 cups whipped cream into pastry bag fitted with star tip; pipe around top and bottom edges of cake.
- Spoon remaining cherry topping over top of cake.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in the Pacific Northwest US. I am a sophomore in high school, and I love to cook/bake. I have a fairly large family (4 brothers and 4 sisters) and we're all big eaters, so I enjoy the challenge of finding recipes to feed us all. In my free time (of which there is little), I am in 4-H with my dairy goats, and I'm the president of the club - I am also a teen leader, and I'm thinking about joining the state council. I am very active in politics and activism, and I am a member of the Washington State Young Democrats. I have played the piano for 6.5 years and the cello for 2 years. I am taking 2 classes at the local high school this year: Acting Techniques and Honors Humanities. I sing in my church choir, and I love music (I have been known to listen to love songs for hours). My passions are reading and writing. I am in a homeschool orchestra with my cello, and a homeschool chess club. I am classified as a nerd. :P I want to do running start my last two years of high school, and attend Duke or Stanford or some big college to get my PhD in counseling psychology. I'm a hopeless romantic. I love old and vintage things. I just recently became a vegetarian. I really would like to become vegan, but my financial resources are very limited right now and I can't afford it. Once I move out of my parents' house and have a job, I'll make the switch. I am really a very liberal Christian (I'm a theistic evolutionist, a feminist, I accept other religions, and I believe homosexuality is ok), and I'm very vocal about my opinions, which gets me in trouble a lot at the Baptist church I go to. I love debating. I hate any war, for whatever reason, and I am thrilled that Obama won. YAY!!! I'm taken by the most amazing guy ever. Even though we are totally different (I'm Protestant, he's Catholic; I'm a liberal Democrat, he's a conservative Republican; I'm very outgoing and loud; he's typically shy and quiet), I am totally, madly in love with him. Sorry, boys. ;) Anything else? Ask me. :D