Black-Eyed Pea Gumbo
This is SO simple, either crock pot or stovetop! A friend of mine served this a few weeks ago on a very cold Sunday and I've made it three times since! Spice it up or tone it down as you like. I like spicy foods so I add a lot of Tabasco? to my bowl! Some people like to add okra as well for the real gumbo look...I hope you enjoy this!
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch style black-eyed peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch style black-eyed peas with jalapenos
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes (Rotel will spice it up more)
- 1 lb sausage links (preferably with jalapenos)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 bell pepper
- celery (optional)
- 2 (7 ounce) bags 10-minute Success rice (cooked)
- Slice bell pepper, celery (dice if you prefer) and uncooked sausage.
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT RICE in a crock pot (this will fill a 3 quart crock pot).
- Cook on high for at least 3 hours then add cooked rice* and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- If you make this on the stove top the cooking time will be approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
- *I leave the rice out and allow each person to put in as much as they like in their bowl and pour the gumbo over it.
- IF there is any left over, I add the remaining rice.
- If it is needing additional broth the next day, I add tomato juice or tomato sauce (juice works the best).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Made this as a Kwanzaa side dish at our Boxing Day celebration. I "veganized" this recipe so that my son and his girlfriend could eat it too. I use a vegan sausage, and I substituted vegetable broth for for the beef broth. One of my biggest substitutions was to use a pound of dry black-eyed peas in place of the canned. I prepared the peas per the package directions. I also added 4 diced jalapeno peppers. I, too, served the rice separately. crowd at our party really liked the dish.Reply
This was amazingly easy and delicious. I used the same ingredients as listed including Hot Rotel and Kiolbassa Beef with Jalapenos Sausage, Better than Boullion for Beef Broth . Cooked in the crockpot for 2 hours. Such simple and few ingredients and such rich flavor. Tasted like restaurant and without a roux! Thank you so much for the recipe. I will be making this again.Reply
Nice and quick gumbo recipe to satisfy any hankerin' for some. I've made it twice -- once it was excellent; the other time it was a disaster. Recommendation to avoid the disaster -- check the labels on the canned items. I unwittingly picked up excessively salty versions, which ruined the taste of the overall recipe and made me parched for a few hours. I will definitely make this recipe again (it is good), but I will check the labels much more carefully next time.Reply