Black-Eyed Pea Bread
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From my Southern Living Cookbook 2003. Sounds unusual, but it's good. Prep time doesn't include bread dough thawing 8 hours.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen bread dough, loaves
- 1 (16 ounce) package pork sausage (I use Jimmy Dean Sage)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package pepperoni slices, chopped (I forget to chop)
- 1 onion, small, chopped
- 1 (15 7/8 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Thaw bread dough loaves in refrigerator 8 hours or overnight.
- Cook sausage, pepperoni, and onion in a large skillet, stirring until sausage is well done.
- Drain well.
- Cool slightly, and stir in black-eyed peas, cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Roll each loaf of thawed bread dough into a 12 x 5-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- Brush on combined egg yolks and milk, spread each loaf evenly with sausage mixture.
- Roll up, starting with long side, pinch ends to seal.
- Place seam side down on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Brush remaining egg yolk and milk mixture over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, cover with foil and bake another 10 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION