Black Cherry and Vodka Trifle
This is going to be my alternative Christmas pud this year! It's from Lakeland. The leaflet says it can be made the day before. Six layers in the trifle. If you want more booze, add more vodka. You will need a 3 litre trifle bowl. Times are estimated.
- Ready In:
- 16 single trifle sponge cakes
- 1 (340 g) jar black cherry jam
- 300 ml double cream
- 200 ml low-fat creme fraiche
- 2 (410 g) cans pear halves in natural juice
- 6 tablespoons vodka
- 600 ml thick pouring custard
- 10 fresh cherries
- Split the trifle sponges horizontally. Spread generously with cherry jam and sandwich together, then cut about half of them into two diagonally. Whip the cream till thick and mix in the creme fraiche.
- Pour the vodka into a measuring jug and make up to 300 ml with pear juice from the cans. Chop the drained pears into small chunks.
- Spread half the pear chunks over the base of the trifle bowl. Arrange half the cherry-filled triangles around the edge of the dish, cut side facing out. Keep the other half of the triangles for the next layer.
- Fill the inside in, packing the sponges in very tightly. Pour over half the vodka and pear juice.
- Put enough cream to give 10 blbos in a small bowl, for decoration later. Spread the remainder over the sponge. Make a second layer of cherry-filled sponges as before, pour over the remaining pear and vodka juice and top with the remaining pears. Spread over the custard and decorate with 10 blobs of the reserved cream, topping each blob with a cherry.