Black Beans With Chorizo
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe comes from a May 1987 issue of Bon Appetit in a "Mexican Cooking Goes Light" article. It is chef Jorge De'Angelo's and is best if prepared one day ahead of when you want to serve the beans.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 25mins
- 1 quart water (or more)
- 1 lb black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup lard, plus
- 2 teaspoons lard (or 1/4 c. plus 2 T.solid vegetable shortening)
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved
- 2 sprigs epazote or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 5 jalapenos, seeded, deveined and minced
- 1 lb chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 4 1⁄2 ounces grated cheddar cheese (about 1 1/8 cups) or 4 1/2 ounces monterey jack cheese (about 1 1/8 cups)
- finely chopped green onions (to garnish) or red onion, to garnish
- minced fresh cilantro leaves (garnish)
- Bring water,beans,sliced onion,2 tablespoons lard and garlic to boil in heavy Dutch oven.
- Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add epazote (or oregano) and simmer until beans are tender, adding water as needed, about 30 minutes.
- Puree bean mixture through medium disc of food mill or coarsely chop in food processor using on/off turns; return to Dutch oven.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup lard in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add 1 Celsius red onions and 1 tablespoon minced chilies.;cover and cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking up with fork or potato masher, about 10 minutes.
- Add to beans and bring to a boil; reduce heat,cover and simmer until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cool completely, then refrigerate overnight.
- Bring beans to room temperature; taste and adjust seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a large casserole and fill with beans.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover and bake until bubbling, about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve immediately, passing remaining chilies, green onion and cilantro separately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION