Black Bean Tortilla Soup
photo by AmyZoe
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs (boneless, skinless, and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips)
- 1 large onion, chopped (12 ounces)
- 2 medium poblano chiles (3 ounces each, seeded and chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with press
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 32 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 15 -19 ounces black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 cups coarsely broken tortilla chips
- In a 6-quart saucepan, heat oil on medium-high until hot.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add chicken to saucepot in 2 batches, and cook 5 minutes per batch or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- With slotted spoon, remove chicken to medium bowl once it is browned.
- After all chicken is browned, add onion, poblanos, and garlic to saucepot.
- Cook on medium 10 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned and tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cumin and coriander and cook 1 minute.
- Add broth and water. Cover and heat to boiling.
- Return chicken and any juices in bowl to saucepot.
- Stir in frozen chicken and black beans.
- Heat to boiling on medium-high and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer uncovered 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Serve with tortilla chips for sprinkling on top of soup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to try new recipes, and this is a wonderful site to find new additions. I rarely make the same thing twice because it's so much fun to try something different. My life long dream is to travel the world and eat my way around it.