Black Bean Ful
photo by Mamas Kitchen Hope
- Ready In:
- 2 cups dried black turtle beans or 4 -5 cups fresh fava beans
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced in wedges (optional)
- Soak the dried black turtle beans in the water for several hours or overnight.
- Cook the soaked beans in fresh water to cover for 1 1/2 - 2 hours until tender. (Cook fresh favas until just tender).
- Drain the cooked beans while they're still hot and toss them with the olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. The warm beans will readily absorb the flavors.
- Add plenty of salt and black pepper to taste.
- Stir in half of the tomatoes and parsley.
- Taste the ful. It should be lemony and garlicky, not bland. Add more lemon if necessary.
- Turn the ful into a warm serving bowl and top it with the rest of the tomatoes and parsley and garnish it with lemon wedges and hard-boiled eggs if you like.
- Serve warm, but can also be served chilled or at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<embed src="http://walkertracker.com/badge/v1/flashbadge.swf?id=Ms*Bindy&date=20070316" width="140" height="200" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></embed> <a href="http://walkertracker.com/walker.php?Ms*Bindy&i=1eb0d8f2e3b" title="A walking community for pedometer geeks">View Ms*Bindy's Step Blog at Walker Tracker</a>