Black Bean Chili over Sweet Potatoes
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups diced red bell peppers
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups yellow squash, diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Saute bell pepper and onions in a small amount of broth or water over medium heat until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in spices, tomatoes, and beans and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add squash and jalapeno. Cook, covered, about 6 minutes or until squash is crisp-tender. Place one peeled, slightly mashed sweet potato on each plate. Top with chili and drizzle with freshly squeezed lime juice, if desired.
Join The Conversation
This recipe was so delicious, I have made it twice in one week. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes goes beautifully with the spices of the chili. I am so excited that I love this recipe so much because when you think about the health factor, this has got to be one of the healthiest meals ever! I doubled the can tomatoes because the first time I made it, the chili came out a little dried out.
Very healthy and simple to make. I've been looking for recipes that include healthy stuff like sweet potatoes and beans and this fit the bill. I started out with only half of the chili powder, cumin and jalapenos, but then added the remainder. It wasn't hot at all. I like the idea of serving the chili over sweet potatoes. Didn't miss the meat at all.
Wow. I would have never thought to combine all of these ingredients, but, wow. My husband has had to go on a low sodium diet, and with this recipe he didn't miss his salt. My kids liked it, too, which is an even bigger feat. We will be making this again and again. My husband now asks for it at least twice a month.