Black Bean and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
photo by Melinda 2
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 50mins
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 3 cups dried black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 9 cups water, filtered
- sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, Diced
- 6 slices fresh ginger, finely minced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced or 2 serrano peppers
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 red bell peppers
- 32 ounces low sodium vegetable broth (or no sodium)
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely minced
- Place Bay Leaf, Beans and Water in a heavy pot and bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil, uncovered, 10 minutes. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Season with salt to taste and simmer about 10 minutes longer.
- *Lightly oil the skins of the Red Peppers. Place whole peppers over an open gas flame until the outer skin is charred black. Transfer to a paper sack, seal tightly and allow to steam about 10 minutes. Gently rub charred skin from peppers, removing all charred skin. Cut in half and remove seeds. Dice peppers.
- Heal oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, garlic and chiles and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and a light seasoning of salt. Simmer until tomatoes are heated through. Toss in roasted Red Peppers.
- When beans are completely cooked, discard bay leaves, add in the Vegetable broth, bring to a boil for a couple minutes, reduce heat to a simmer, for about 5 minutes. Stir in vegetables and simmer another minute or two. Add parsley and serve.
- *If you don't have a gas stove, oil the peppers, cut in half lengthwise, lay them cut side down on a baking sheet, seeds intact. Place them under a hot broiler until the skins are charred. (then steam in bag and peel).
- Freeze any left overs in individual serving size containers for quick and easy meals.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a devoted wife and mom. I am always looking for quick, easy and tasty meals. I love any cookbooks and cooking shows.</p> <p>I am often in the kitchen throwing ingredients together mixing up good flavors. Recently, my husband and daughter became Vegan, and that has threw me a challenge. (I am not Vegan). </p> <p>Food is wonderful, and good, flavorful, healthy food is the bomb! I feel so fortunate when I am in the grocery store and I am able to buy food and the ingredients I want!</p>