Black Bean and Chorizo Soup
photo by Xexe383
- Ready In:
- 1 (3 ounce) spanish chorizo sausage, coarsely chopped (spicy cured pork sausage)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 - 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- Cook chorizo, onion, garlic, bell pepper, pepper flakes, cumin and salt in oil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth (2 1/2 cups for smaller cans of beans or 3 cups for larger) and beans and simmer, partially covered, 15 minutes.
- Lightly mash beans with potato masher to slightly thicken.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have always made my BBS with Kielbasa, decided to try this. Made it in crock-pot. What a difference! YUMMM!!! This was so good, that I am re-making tonight (because we ate it ALL!!) for lunch throughout the week! Only change is I used some multi-colored frozen peppers that I had in freezer instead of fresh. Hope the smell if it cooking doesn't have me up all night wanting to eat it!
I made this with soyrizo and some black beans I had in the freezer and it was delicious! It was so hearty, and spicy. It was very chili like, especially with the soyrizo. I added some fresh cilantro and cheddar cheese as a garnish. It's one of my new favorites! I will definitely be making this often, especially on chilly nights!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY