Bitter gourd in Yogurt
- Ready In:
- 2 medium bitter gourd (karelas)
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed (moti saunf)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chat masala
- Wash and gently scrape the karelas so that the ridges diasappear and some skin remains on the vegetable.
- Cut into roundels or semi circles- if the seeds are ripe, discard, or else retain the seeds.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder and salt over the karelas and mix well.
- Keep aside for half an hour for the bitter juices to run out.
- After half hour, squeeze the karelas of any liquid that might remain in them and discard all the liquid.
- Heat oil in a wok or frypan.
- Add whole saunf, give it a few twirls and immediately throw in the squeezed karelas.
- Stir for 2 minutess.
- Add yogurt and cook till the yogurt comes to a rolling boil.
- Cover, lower heat and cook till the karelas are tender.
- Uncover, add ground fennel and chaat masaala.
- Cook, without covering, till all the liquid has dried.
- Check to see if you require more salt.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
"I live in New Delhi, India. I am a stay-at-home grandmom. I spend a fair amount of time on the net....and while surfing for a recipe ran into this site. After that; this is it....a one-stop station for every kind of recipe. I have no favourite cookbook but love collecting recipes from any source. I play a lot of scrabble (Any potential scrabblers out there?!) and hate cooking in summers. Temperatures run into the 40 degrees cent. range and our kitchens are not airconditioned!! I love travelling and, given a chance, would take a month long luxury cruise which touched exotic ports! Aaaahhh....pure bliss!!!!"
Join The Conversation
This was GREAT! I made this for dinner last night. I did add a tbsp. of kasoori methi(crushed between my palms). The chaat masala in this is the best part of the recipe. It was very nice and mom,dad and me liked it alot. Thank you so much for helping me out with this recipe. Will make it often now on:)