Bistec En Cazuela
This is a cuban recipe. It is basically boiled steaks in red sauce.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup sauvignon blanc wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon powdered oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- 4 round steaks, about 1/4 inch thick
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add sliced onion and bell pepper, when onions are translucent add the minced garlic. Lower the heat and saute until bell pepper slices are soft. Do not brown.
- Add tomato sauce and puree. Stir well bring the heat to medium high.
- When the mixture stars bubbling lower the heat; cook for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the cup of wine and mix well.
- Add the oregano and cumin powders and the bay leaves.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spray the bottom of a heavy Dutch oven with Pam.
- Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper and place them on the bottom of the pan. Pour the sauce over adding a cup of water.
- Simmer until the steaks are tender. If it starts drying out, add small amounts of water when necessary. This can be cook faster in a pressure cooker. Place the grid from the pressure cooker on the bottom of the pan, spray with Pam. Proceed just as above.
- Cook 20 minutes after the pressure is obtained.
- Serve with white rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Lovely tasty Sunday dinner, thanks! It was much like a Swiss steak, I had to modify it a bit to fit into what I had available. I used a red pepper, diced tomatoes, no tomato paste and no water. Also used veggie spray instead of the olive oil to cut back a bit on the calories and scaled the recipe for 2 servings served over baked mashed garlic potatoes. It was a delicious meal, the sauvignon blanc gave it a special flavour and made it a special meal. Thanks for posting, I will probably make it again, hopefully with the tomato sauce and paste. Mine was probably not as thick because of the diced tomatoes but was delicious!!Reply
see 1 more