Biscotti Di Anise
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 4 tablespoons anise seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 cups blanched almonds, chopped
- In a large bowl place the butter and sugar, and cream them together.
- One at a time add the eggs and beat them in.
- Add the anise seeds and mix them in.
- Add the vanilla and anisette and beat them in.
- In a mixing bowl place the flour and baking powder, and mix them together.
- Add the flour to butter mixture. Combine the ingredients together well.
- Add the almonds and stir them in well.
- Form the dough into a flat loaf.
- Cover it and place it in the refrigerator overnight. Preheat the oven to 375xF.
- Place the loaf on a cookie sheet and bake it for 20 minutes, or until it is firm.
- Remove the loaf and let it cool.
- Slice it diagonally into 3/4" thick slices.
- Preheat the oven to 375xF.
- Place the slices on a cookie sheet and bake them for 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Let them cool before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The tasete is FAB. I skipped the almonds because my father is allergic ("Merry Christmas! Anaphalaxis). The recipe does not specify how much anisette is used, or even include it in the ingredient list, but it is called for in the instructions. To be honest, I didn't really care, I used a tsp. of Whisky and called it a day. I recommend dividing the dough into two flattish loafs since mine didn't cook all the way through and it was in the oven for a little over half an hour. I will definitely make these delights again to refine my technique. I think they will be a classic when I get it right for me.