"biggest Loser" Chili
- Ready In:
2 1/4 quarts
- 3 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs 99% lean ground turkey or 1 1/4 lbs turkey sausage
- 1 cups diced tomatoes or (28 ounce) can roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth (low sodium, fat free)
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, sliced green tops
- Coat large saucepan with a few sprays of olive oil cooking spray. Add the onions and cook over medium-high heat until they're soft and just starting to brown. Add the ground turkey and cook over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat with a spoon, for about 6 minutes or until no longer pink. Add tomatoes, pinto and black beans, broth, garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin and mustard powder. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Garnish with olives and scallions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a life-long resident of the Grand Rapids area, but have traveled with my husband to many parts of the world. I love sampling the local cuisine! I was a legal secretary for 20 years and have been retired for 3 years. I have two adult sons, one of whom is a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer in Florida and one who has become a Hoosier. My family at home these days include my husband of 41 years and our two year old standard Poodle "Ozzie" who is the joy of our lives right now, excluding, of course, my two boys.