Big Daddy's Carolina Style Barbecue Sauce
photo by DuChick
- Ready In:
- 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter (a healthier choice use 2 tablespoons organic free range grass fed butter)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)
- Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best and allows flavors to blend.
- Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I think it's clear the one star reviewer thought this would be a tomato or 'red' based sauce, not a Carolina mustard/vinegar sauce. Anyway I made it- it is true to the form of a Carolina mustard mop sauce. Had it on smoked pulled pork sandwiches and it was very, very good. Good recipe if you like a Carolina MUSTARD/VINEGAR based sauce!
see 21 more reviews
Terrific BBQ sauce! Looking forward to slathering it on grilled chicken tonight. For now, the taste right out of the bowl is spot on - tangy, slightly sweet, love the mustard base. Halved the recipe; yield was about 1 cup. Used about 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder in place of liquid smoke [none on hand].
I made this for my pulled pork. I had to make a couple of substitutions as my pantry was short. I used regular vinegar instead of cider and I found out I was out of liquid smoke so I used smoked paprika instead. A great sauce, thickened nicely and I'll use it on chicken as well. Thanks for the recipe.