Bhuna Khichuri (Bangladesh)
photo by GiddyUpGo
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup cauliflower floret
- 1 medium sized potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1⁄4 cup mung beans
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄2 small onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Soak the mung beans overnight, or if you are short on time cook them with a half cup of water on medium heat in a pressure cooker for 8 minutes.
- Fry the cauliflower and potato cubes lightly in a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the onion, the jalapeno peppers and the spices.
- Add the rice, the mung beans and about a half cup of oil and stir until well incorporated.
- Add two cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover the pot.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a mother of two with another one on the way! I am married to an Englishman and we own a small business in our local area. We live in a very small town called Rough and Ready (yes there really is a place called Rough and Ready!) I am a part-time writer and full time mom. My kids were born 15 months apart and keep me so busy I barely have enough time to cook and no time at all for my other passion, horseback riding. I once had four horses but am down to two; my Arab mare Argo and old Denver. Both of them spend the vast majority of their time standing around in my back yard eating hay. I get to feed them and look at them, but until my kids are all in school (and I stop having more kids) that's about it. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">