Bhindi Bhaji (Fried Stuffed Okra)
photo by Sana7149
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, plus
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb okra, trimmed
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups roughly chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander, for garnish
- 2 lemons, quartered for garnish
- In a small bowl combine the chili powder, turmeric, coriander, and salt.
- With a sharp knife, cut lengthwise slit in each okra pod, taking care not to cut completely through.
- Stuff each pod with a little of the spice mixture.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over high heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring constantly, 12 minutes, or until browned.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the okra.
- Add the water if the mixture seems to dry.
- Cook covered 10 minutes, or until the okra is tender but still retains it's color.
- Serve garnished with fresh coriander and lemons.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a 6 star recipe. This dish is so simple to make, yet tastes soooooo good. Even though I was out of coriander and lemons for the garnish (shame on me), the okra still looked really impressive, especially as it does keep its colour. I cut down the amount of oil and used a mixture of half vegetable oil and half ghee, for a lovely buttery flavour. To date, this is the best okra recipe I've ever had and I'll definately be making this again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in a house full of Zaar addicts.....lucky for me i'm one of the taste testers...whoo-hoo</p>