Better Blueberry Muffins (Shape Magazine)
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oats (quick-cooking, NOT instant)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk, plus
- 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg (large)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh blueberries, washed & dried
- 1⁄4 cup blueberry preserves (or all-fruit spread)
- 24 fresh blueberries, washed & dried
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine flour, 1/2c sugar, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together buttermilk, egg, oil, and vanilla.
- Toss blueberries with flour mixture.
- Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and stir gently.
- Line a 12 count muffin pan with paper liners (or spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray). Divide the batter evenly; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until tops are just set. Remove pan from oven and top each muffin with 1t fruit spread and 2 blueberries.
- Bake 3-5 minutes more until golden. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I was born in NJ and came down to DC for college. After falling in love with the area, and meeting DH, we settled in northern Virginia. We have a daughter born 02/99 and a son born 04/01. We also have 2 dogs. I am a CPA and work part time for a wonderful company!</p>