Better Baked Mac & Cheese
photo by YummySmellsca
- Ready In:
2 9x13 pans
- salt (for pasta water)
- 2 kg elbow macaroni
- 6 cups whole milk, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 kg shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup dry Italian breadcrumbs or 1 cup crushed goldfish crackers
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease 2 large casserole dishes.
- Boil a large pot of water and add salt. Add macaroni and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain well and return to pot.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 5 cups of milk in a saucepan.
- Stir in the pepper, parsley, garlic powder, salt and butter.
- Whisk the cornstarch with the remaining 1 cup milk until smooth, then add to the hot milk and cook until slightly thickened.
- Stir in all but 1 cup of the cheese until melted.
- Pour over the pasta in the pot and fold in completely.
- Divide pasta between the casserole dishes, top with reserved cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until cheese melts and casserole is bubbly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Montessori teacher, nutritionist and pastry chef: baking is my passion, but teaching the value of good food to whole families is close to my heart too! I have a passion for re-instilling the love of good-quality, home-made and mostly healthy food into the hearts and kitchens of children and their families today. I believe that any ?homemade? food, even when labelled as naughty, is a more wholesome treat than pre-packaged, cookie-cutter junk.</p> 9408826"