Best Turkey in the World - Jamie Oliver.
photo by Swirling F.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 5 1⁄2 kg turkey
- 2 -4 clementines
- rosemary, bay or fresh thyme sprig
- 150 g butter
- 2 -3 carrots
- 3 onions, peeled
- 2 celery ribs
- For the Butter:.
- You need to finely chop the carrots, onion and celery. Chop rosemary and thyme.
- Mix into the butter thoroughly.
- The Turkey:.
- Using a tablespoon, gently seperate the skin from the meat through the cavity up towards the breastbone of the bird.
- Once the skin is separated, take half of the flavoured butter and push in between the skin and the meat. Massage so that the butter is evenly distributed.
- The other half of the butter is to be smoothed over the outside of the turkey.
- Using a skewer or rosemary sprigs, secure the cavity, so that the skin doesn't slide.
- Cover in cling film and keep in the refridgerator until ready to be cooked.
- Before cooking, chop 2-4 clementines and place in the cavity.
- Stuff the neck of the bird with as much stuffing as possible.
- Cook the bird on 350 / Gas Mark 4. Time scale is approx 30 minutes per kilo, plus 20 minutes at the end.
- For best results, baste the turkey every 45 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I got this recipe from a chef I represented when I was a public defender, so we know it in my house as "Jailhouse Turkey" (sorry Jamie O.). I've made my turkeys this way ever since, and there is absolutely no comparison to any other way I have roasted them. I always brine my turkey as well; it's well worth the effort. The one other tip he gave me was to preheat the oven to 500F, then turn it down to roasting temperature as soon as you put the bird in the oven. This sears the skin to the bird and seals in the juices like you would not believe. Thanks for posting such a lovely recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a a mother of one little boy who has Autism... this means I am a very busy lady but I still love to cook and enjoy spending hours in the kitchen with the little man. One day he'll be a chef! At just 3 years old, he knows (and does) make a beef casserole to die for and one of the best pasta sauces I've ever tasted!!! Anyhow... I've seen so many great recipes on here and so I've signed up to share my own and so I can use this shopping list feature too!