Best Rhubarb Cake Ever!! (With Coconut Topping)
photo by Amy Loo
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 cups rhubarb, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce (original recipe called for shortening or oil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons canned milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Wash rhubarb & dice.
- Combine the rhubarb with the 1/2 cup of sugar, set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingrediants, mix on medium to high speed for at least a minute.
- Add the rhubarb & sugar mixture into the batter.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan, bake at 350 for about 1 hour (you may want to start checking on it at 45 minutes depending on your oven).
- Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes.
- Combine Topping ingrediants in a small saucepan, over medium heat disolve the sugar and melt the butter.
- Spread onto the top of the cake, then place under the broiler until topping begins to bubble (Be careful not to burn!).
- Remove from oven.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!