Best Ham & Bean Soup
photo by Sharon Anne
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
Quick Soaking Beans
- 1 cup dry small white beans
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups fresh water
- 1 large meaty smoked ham bone
- 6 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced (NOT dry)
- 2 whole dried bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons dry onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup celery, sliced (microwaved)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons chicken base, paste
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 5 cups water (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup small dry pasta shells
- Quick Soaking Beans: Heat beans and water until boiling, remove from heat. Cover and soak beans for 1 hour.
- Pressure Cooker: After quick soaking beans, drain and rinse. Add fresh water, the ham bone and seasonings. Cover and heat equivalent to 15 lbs PSI; time for 7 minutes, plus 1 minute per 1000 ft above sea level. Remove from heat, to allow pressure reduce normally.
- Soup Ingredients: Uncover, add the remaining soup ingredients (except pasta); simmer 45 minutes. Stir in pasta and simmer 15 more minutes, or until tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!