Best Ever Sweet Potato Casserole With Pecan Topping
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 5⁄8 cup butter
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 1 cup brown sugar (unpacked)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat over to 425 degrees. Butter a 13x9 glass baking dish and set aside.
- Bake the potatoes until soft throughout. This can be done in either the oven or the microwave, there is no difference in the end product. Then peel the skins off, and whip the potatoes in a large bowl with an electric mixer.
- Add in all the casserole ingredients and beat with electric mixer until smooth. Spread in the glass dish and bake 20 minutes, uncovered. This can be prepared a day in advance & refridgerated overnight, simply increase the cook time to 30 minutes to cook through.
- FOR THE TOPPING, crush corn flakes by hand to equal 2 cups (about 4 cups from the box). Stir in unpacked brown sugar and chopped pecans. Set aside.
- Just before the casserole is done, melt butter and add to dry topping mix. Stir until thoroughly moist.
- Remove casserole from oven, reduce heat to 400 degrees, and spread topping over top.
- Bake uncovered 15 minutes at 400.
- This sweet potato casserole is great hot, warm or cold. And the leftovers taste just as good as when first made.
Join The Conversation
After years of experimentation, I perfected this recipe of sweet potato casserole and it has turned into a holiday favorite. It's always a huge hit & I get tons of requests for it. And the best part is, it's great hot, cold & leftover. Everyone says it's just like dessert, and everyone goes back for seconds or even thirds. Enjoy!!