Best Ever Squash Casserole
This is the best squash casserole recipe I've ever made. The corn bread flavor in it makes it just incredible. Its time consuming so I don't make it all that often but its worth doing at least once a month!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 1⁄2 cups zucchini (diced)
- 4 1⁄2 cups yellow squash (diced)
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow onions (chopped)
- 1 (8 ounce) box Jiffy corn muffin mix (prepare as directed on box)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 8 ounces process American cheese (diced, use a store brand not Velveeta)
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- Prepare Jiffy Mix as directed, set aside to cool.
- Place zucchini and yellow squash in a large sauce pan and add just enough of water to cover.
- Cook on medium low heat just until tender, remove from heat.
- Drain squash, reserve one cup of water for casserole.
- On medium low temperature place all of the butter in large sauce pan and sauté the onions until the onions turn clear, add salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley.
- Add chicken bouillon cubes and garlic to onions, stir.
- Add drained squash and diced cheese, stir.
- Crumble corn bread in squash and pour the reserved cup of water and mix well.
- Place squash mixture in a 13"x11" baking pan that has been sprayed with a none stick spray.
- Cover casserole and place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
- Bake for 50- 60 minutes.
- Remove cover the last 20 minutes of baking time.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This is really good. A great change from the ordinary squash casserole. I used fresh garlic sauted with the onions. Next time, I think I won't cook the squash in water but instead will just give a minute or two in the saute pan with the onions. Just so I don't overcook them like I did this time. I will make this often this summer, I'm sure. Thanks so much!!