Best Ever Southern Greens
photo by Joshua W.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 4 -5 bundles greens (stems and veins removed)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 -8 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 -3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 -4 good dashes Tabasco sauce
- Begin cooking bacon on medium-high heat until edges start to brown.
- Add onion and Turnip and continue cooking until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, and Tabasco and cook until garlic is fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add apple cider vinegar and continue cooking until reduced by about half (looks syrupy).
- Transfer to stock pot scraping bits from the bottom of the pan, add chicken stock and greens, bring to a simmer, wilting down greens.
- Reduce heat to medium low cover and let simmer stirring occasionally for 2 hours (or until desired doneness).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!