Best Ever Lentil Soup
- Ready In:
- 2 cups red lentils, washed
- 8 cups water or 8 cups broth
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons Knorr chicken bouillon
- Put water and lentils in large pot. Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally, till lentils are tender.
- When this is almost done, saute onion, garlic and carrot till onion is slightly golden. Add this to the soup after it has simmered for 20 minutes Also add the spices and boullion and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take off heat and add the lemon juice.
- Stir and serve.
- We love to eat this with pita bread and have dates for dessert. The perfect meal!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was my first time to cook with red lentils, so I didn't know what to expect. I was a bit sad that they lost that pretty color when cooked, but these things happen. I did find the cooking time for the vegetables too short for my taste, so cooked them in the soup longer. The flavor didn't really wow me at first tasting, but improved greatly after the addition of some chopped cilantro/fresh coriander leaves. Thank you for a nice lunch.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a homemaker and love what I do. God has really blessed our family. <br> <br>I love to cook and try new recipes. I currently am loving Japanese and Middle Eastern Foods.