Best Creamiest Unsweetened Soy Yogurt

Recipe by Chef #987281
READY IN: 13hrs 30mins
YIELD: 7 6oz jars


  • 5
    cups unsweetened soymilk (SILK brand aqua colored box)
  • 1
    tablespoon agave syrup or 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1
    tablespoon xanthan gum (for thickening)
  • 1
    (5 g) package yogurt starter (yogourmet)


  • Combine the soy milk, agave syrup, and xanthan gum in a pan on the stove and whisk to combine the ingredients -- the xanthan gum makes it look lumpy but we will get rid of those later.
  • Heat over medium heat until the mixture reaches 180 F on a candy thermometer, making sure the thermometer is not touching the bottom or sides of the pan, this will ensure a proper reading. Continue to whisk occasionally through the heating process -- everything still looks lumpy -- don't give up.
  • When you reach 180 F turn off the heat and let set for about five minutes then pour into a blender. Blend on the mix setting until it looks very creamy -- mine only took about 30 seconds or so -- look the lumps are gone.
  • Pour into a measuring cup large enough to hold the mixture.
  • Let the mixture sit to cool to 108-112°F Place your candy thermometer on the side of your measuring cup and be patient it takes a little while. Occasionally check the temp with the thermometer towards the center of the measuring cup as the temp does vary and it has to be specific for the yogurt starter.
  • Once the temp has lowered whisk in the yogurt starter making sure to incorporate it thoroughly.
  • Evenly pour it into your incubation jars with the lids off.
  • Place incubator lid on machine and set for 13 hours.
  • Once that is done you will notice that the mixture might have grown a bit but it will deflate slightly as the bubbles incorporated through the blending process will settle. Place lids on individual jars and place in refrigerator to cool. I let mine set for about 12 hours. You probably don't need to let it rest for so long but I like my yogurt ice box cold. You should probably let it rest for at least 2-3 hours as the resting is still part of the process.