Best Brussels Sprouts Ever
photo by AcadiaTwo
- Ready In:
- 1 lb Brussels sprout
- 2 large red apples
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- Clean and halve the Brussels sprouts. Put them in a microwave safe dish and add a tablespoon or so of water. Cover and microwave on high for about five minutes. They should NOT be fully cooked.
- Core, then roughly chop the apples, leaving skin on.
- Mix the butter, sugar and nutmeg.
- Add the apples to the sprouts and cover with butter mixture. Return to microwave and microwave for 4-5 minutes until sprouts are cooked.
- Cooking time will vary depending on your microwave.
- Serve immediately. Great as leftovers too!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe produces the best Brussels Sprouts I have ever had. I substitiuted Green Giant 10oz. Brussels Sprouts frozen with butter sauce, used Splenda Brown Sugar for baking and 2 small Granny Smith apples. I think the red apples would be more attractive, but I especially liked the ease of being able to adjust the ingredients to those I had on hand. The sweetness was just right.
I really liked the taste of this with apples and nutmeg. It was difficult for me though to get over how sweet it was. I will be doing this again, but will only sprinkle lightly with brown sugar instead of adding so much of it. Thanks for a good receipe - I agree, it might help quite few people get over their brussels sprout fears :)))