Best Brown Rice Meal
When I was a kid my dad came home form work one day and told my mom we weren't going to eat red meat anymore. This coming from a meat and potatoes type of guy was quite surprising to say the least. At that time my mom switched from white rice to brown as she feared we would need an extra nutrient boost. That change didn't make me to happy...brown rice was not at the top of my favorites list. So one day we jazzed it up a bit. Hope you like what we came up with. My family does. (Note: We eat this as a main dish, not a side that is why the serving size is more then a 1/2 cup)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, chopped (more if desired)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups lightly salted shelled sunflower seeds
- Cook brown rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Chop, onion, celery, carrot and mince garlic.
- Place olive oil in a large skillet and heat over medium-high. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery and stir to combine. Continue to stir until vegetables are tender and aromatic; about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked brown rice to the skillet and stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Continue to heat until rice is hot.
- Add the grated cheese and sunflower seeds and stir until cheese is melted and everything is well mixed.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Yummmy! What a great meal- unusual, delicious, and nutritious! It makes a nice-size batch, with leftovers (just my mom and I eating it) but not too many, because we had bigger servings!! LOL. We used a vegan "cheeze" and fewer sunflower seeds, but that's just our taste. To any future reviewers, I'd recommend to consider this a fairly adaptable recipe. You could try bell peppers or green peas, maybe some pine nuts, even mixing in a different grain like millet.... So glad this is now posted! Thanks Buggsy! :-)Reply