Best Beef Tips and Gravy
photo by Scout Aunt
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large green pepper, sliced into med.slices
- 1 large onion, sliced into med. slices
- 3 lbs stewing beef, cut into pieces
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons lawry seasoning salt
- 2 red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 (15 ounce) cans beef broth
- 3 (15 ounce) empty beef broth cans water
- In large dutch oven place 1/3 cup vegetable oil. get oil hot. Place the flour and all spices into gallon baggie and shake. Then place meat into baggie and shake until coated well. Once oil is nice and hot put garlic into pan and let cook about 1 minute. Then place all beef into dutch oven. Let that cook about 7-10 minutes. You want to get the flour on the beef nice and brown. So stir the beef a couple of times. Then pour in broth and water, sliced onions and peppers. Cover and let boil for 1 hour stirring occasionaly. Then turn down to simmer and let simmer for 1 1/2 hours. when only a half hour left of cooking, slice and toss in the fresh mushrooms. Serve with white rice, potatoes, or even penne pasta!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was real good with changes I made. I cut the recipe in half as I only had a pound of meat. I didn't add the green pepper. flour, parsley, or red pepper flakes. I browned the onions, garlic and beef but I didn't use oil. I added 1/2 tablespoon of seasoning salt and 1/2 tablespoon of onion powder to the above mixture. I used six cups of broth and used instant potato flakes to thicken up the gravy. I also added 8 ounces of mushrooms. This was real good and easy to make.I served over egg noodles but think I would have liked it better over rice.
This is a very good recipe. The only thing I would change is the amount of seasoning salt. It was too salty for us and I'd cut the salt in half next time. I also didnt need to cook as long as the recipe said. I boiled for an hour and simmered for 30-45 mins. The meat was tender and the sauce thick. Other than that, tasted great!
This is such a great recipe for beef tips. It is so tender, full of flavor and easy to make. Be careful, though, when you heat the oil and add the minced garlic so that it does not burn. I put the garlic in when the oil was not too hot. Otherwise it will stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. Another thing I did find out was to make sure you stir frequently when the mixture is boiling for one hour. Otherwise, it begins sticking. I also had to add a little more water at the end because it became quite thick. That did not change the flavor at all. I will cut the flour down just slightly next time. The meat is so tender and the gravy has a succulent flavor. It seems like you fussed for hours!!! I highly recommend this recipe. I served it with mashed potatoes. I will definitely make this recipe again. Thanks for sharing. Its a keeper! Now I can make someething other than stew with the beef cubes!!!!
see 2 more reviews