Berry Creme Fraiche Cake
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
CREME FRAICH BERRY FILLING
- 1 pint blueberries
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups creme fraiche
- 2⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pint raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of two 9 inch cake pans.
- Line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, soda,salt and baking powder.
- Beat the butter with the sugar until light.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir together the buttermilk and the vanilla.
- On low speed, add half the buttermilk and mix until incorporated well.
- Add half the dry ingredients.
- Mix well and then repeat until all dry and wet ingredients are mixed in well.
- Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Divide the cake batter between the two pans.
- Evenly spread it in pans and bake on the middle rack of the oven until a skewer comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool the cakes in their pans for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool completely.
- The cake layers can be made up to 2 days in advance; wrap well and store at room temperature.
- To make the filling; cook the blueberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the sugar has dissolved and the berries have popped open and become juicey, about 5 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Whip together the creme fraich, cream and remaining 2 TBS sugar until stiff enough to hold it's shape but is still smooth.
- To assemble the cake, cut the cake layers in half horizontally using a serrated knife, making a total of 4 layers.
- Place a cake layer on a serving plate.
- Spread one quarter of the creme fraich filling on top of the cake.
- Top with one quarter of the blueberry sauce and then one quarter of the raspberries.
- Place a second cake layer on top and spread creme fraich, blueberry sauce, and raspberries on top as you did with the first layer.
- Repeat with the third and fourth layers, ending with berries on the top of the cake.
- If not serving within an hour, refrigerate the cake.
- Once removed from the refrigerator, let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving for optimal flavour.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!