Berry Coffee Cake
A friend gave me this recipe awhile back and I converted it to gluten free this morning. It is a nice and tasty gluten free cake. The conversion is easy so I'll post the recipe as written and the gluten free portion will be in the notes section.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup mixed berry, unsweetened (Either fresh or frozen.)
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch round or 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour through salt.
- In a measuring cup or blender container, combine the egg, yogurt, melted butter and vanilla. Whisk or pulse to combine the ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix to combine. Spoon about 2/3's of batter into prepared pan. Mix the berries with the brown sugar and spoon over batter. Top the berries with remaining batter and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes.
- While cake cools, prepare the glaze and then drizzle over cooled cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Please note: If using frozen berries do not defrost.
- Gluten Free Notes: Use 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons gluten free all-purpose flour blend, 2 tablespoons modified tapioca starch and add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum. The gluten free version may require a few tablespoons milk to be added to the batter. Use your best judgement.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Followed your recipe right on down, used a mix of frozen blueberries, raspberries & blackberries, & topped it with the glaze! This coffee cake was absolutely delicious, at least in the opinions of the 2 of us & a neighbor couple with whom we shared it! A nice keeper recipe, too! [Made & reviewed in I Recommend recipe tag]