Berner Rosti (Bernese Fried Potatoes)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 125 g bacon
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Cook the potato in their skins with the caraway seeds in salt water until tender.
- Douse the potato with cold water and peel them while they are still hot.
- Leave them covered overnight.
- Coarsely grate the potato.
- Cube the back into small pieces and fry them in the skillet.
- Add the potato and salt.
- Stir fry them until the bacon fat has been absorbed.
- Press the potato mix down in the pan to form and even cake.
- Fry until the underside is golden brown.
- Sprinkle on the milk and using a plate or lid turn the rosti.
- When the other side is cooked to a crispy golden brown remove the rosti from the pan and serve hot on a pre-heated platter.
- Rosti goes will with stir-fried meat dishes and game, but its actual partner is Zurich Veal. (Geschnetzeltes).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in Canada our winters are far to long and cold. I like to try new recipes. I don't really have a favorite cookbook. I enjoy reading fiction, my friends,good conversation,gardening,and the great outdoors. Love to travel, by plane, boat or automobile. My pet peeves are inconsiderate drivers who stop on a main road holding up traffic. <br />I'd really enjoy spending some time camping IN THE SUMMER by a beach or go the caribbean in the winter-- to the beach at one of the all inclusive clubs they always have a lot of different foods to try.. <br /><br /><a href=http://www.amazingcounter.com><img src=http://c9.amazingcounters.com/counter.php?i=1862985&c=5589268 border=0 alt=HTML Counter /></a><a href=http://www.onlinecomputercoupons.com>Dell</a> <a href=http://www.onlinecomputercoupons.com/dell-server.htm>Server Computers</a></p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p><br />Participation & Awards:</p> <p><a href=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/ZWT7%20Banners/9d968c99.gif></a></p> <p><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/ZWT7%20Banners/9d968c99.gif alt= /></p> <p><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/berriesblinkie.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/RecipeSwap2.JPG alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/NZT-2-AnnaciasZaarTagbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Annacia's banner for Zaar Tag /><img src=http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg border=0 alt=Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/ZaarStar-AMBanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket> /></p>