Bell Pepper Bonanza Marzetti
photo by Boomette
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1⁄2 lb bow tie pasta (or elbow macaroni)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion (peeled and chopped)
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped coarsely)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped coarsely)
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (or ground venison)
- 1 3⁄4 cups low-sodium tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 lb colby cheese (coarsely shredded)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place the farfalle (aka bow ties) into the pot, cook 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease 11 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish (or 8x8-inch pan) and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a very large heavy skillet over moderate heat 1 minute.
- Add onion and garlic. Stir-fry until limp, about 3 minutes.
- Add chopped bell pepper and stir-fry about 5 minutes.
- Add beef and cook and stir, breaking up clumps, until no longer red, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the beef mixture in a fine mesh colander due to the volume of high water content onions and bell peppers.
- Off heat, mix in tomato sauce, and all but 1 cup cheese.
- Transfer to baking dish, add bow ties, and toss gently but thoroughly to mix.
- Scatter remaining 1 cup cheese on top. (Add grated parmesan cheese if more is needed.).
- Bake, uncovered, until browned and bubbling, 35-40 minutes, and serve.
- Serves 6.
- Due to the high moisture content of the onions and bell peppers, this recipe does not freeze as well as other versions of this casserole. If you do freeze it, please reheat in the oven, not the microwave.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This made for a great lunch! Just enough different from our favourite casserole to make it to our Family Favourites Cookbook. We have been enjoying bow tie pasta this past while so went with bow ties.The addition of the red pepper adds eye appeal. Other then using regular tomato sauce because that's what I had on hand, made as posted and wouldn't change a thing. Thank you KateL.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to eat yummy healthy foods!