I love this street vendor dish, although I wish I could try it right in Belize! Day old or stale corn tortillas are preferred as they have a lower moisture content and fry up better. There are other toppings that you can use on this but I like this traditional version. Enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 1 cup red kidney beans (mashed or blended) or 1 cup black beans (mashed or blended)
- salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 4 ounces cabbage, about 2 cups (shredded)
- 1 small onion (small dice)
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- habanero pepper, finely diced (optional, to taste)
- 1 lb corn tortilla
- cooking oil (for frying)
- 1 cup hard cheese, grated (Asiago, Edam, or Dutch type)
- Mash or blend cooked beans, season with salt and pepper.
- Put cabbage, onions and carrots in small bowl with vinegar.
- Add habanero to veggies in vinegar if you want heat.
- Fry tortillas until puffy and crisp.
- Put beans on hot tortilla.
- Cover with cabbage, onions, and carrots.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.