Beer Mac N Cheese Soup
photo by Linky
- Ready In:
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch slices (omit and replace with 2 tablespoons of oil or butter for vegetarian)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten free)
- 2 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable broth
- beer (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat and set aside on paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the grease in the pan.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Mix in the flour and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, beer, nutmeg, bacon and macaroni and let cook until the macaroni is al-dente, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the cream, mustard, worcestershire sauce and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted without bringing it back to a boil.
- Season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><span><strong>I am a stay at home mom to two wonderful boys; Joshua (8years), Kaiden (5 years), and baby GIRL, Madalynn (19 months)! I also have two fur babies (cats); Kobee, AJ; we had to put our youngest cat Sly down Jan 2014. :(. I am also married to my best friend, Jeff and have been since April 2005. I love cooking, hate cleaning and will do whatever I can to get out of it! I love grilling and baking. I do most of the grilling at my house, and bake for almost a week straight at Christmas time! I can make or will attempt just about anything, though I rarely make brownies, my husband's are the best! Homemade breads are not my friend, so I am always working on bread baking.</strong></span></p> <p><span><strong>As for recipe ideas (besides zaar) Cooking Light Cookbooks are my favorites. I love to make new meals and try new things; it is hard though because my husband is picky when it comes to veggies (and hates seafood); If it were up to him we would have baked-bread crumb chicken and white rice at least one meal a day! Over the past couple years with zaar, I have found tons of new recipes my family normally wouldn’t eat but have been happily surprised with new favorites.</strong></span></p> <p><span><strong>I love to join in all of the tag games; I haven't been as present as I would like, but as soon as my Jeff is back from working in Ohio I will be back in full tagging mode! </strong></span></p> <p><span><strong>Cooking is my hobby and passion, I always like to host the family get togethers and volunteer for the potluck dishes. Most of all though are my kids; being home all day with them is fun and challenging, but I wouldn’t trade it for any salary!!</strong></span></p>