Beer Cheese Soup
photo by *Parsley*
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, 12 ounces
- In a large kettle, cook onion in butter until soft. Blend in flour and seasonings; gradually stir in broth, milk and beer. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; boil and stir until thickened. Add cheese, stirring and heating until smooth.
- You can garnish with popcorn, croutons, minced parsley, chives or crumbled crisp bacon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Rarely do I review recipes, but I must rate this one. WOW. I love this soup! I have made it twice now for guests and have received rave reviews! I used part 1/2 and 1/2 and part milk (just what I had on hand). Otherwise followed recipe to a tee. I loved the little kick the cayenne provided. I garnished with popcorn. Fantastic! Thank you for the great recipe Nana!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to do Counted Cross Stitch, Knit, flower gardening, cooking and spending lots of time with my grandchildren. Hence the name Nana in the woods. I live in Northern Mn and the grandkids call me NaNa. The picture is of the deer that come to visit us on a daily basis due to the fact we feed them in the winter months. Oh yah I forgot to mention I'm also an animal lover. I'm married have 1 child and 2 stepchildren and the best part is I have 3 grandchildren. This website is great I'm always looking for new recipes and love to share mine. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">