Beer Braised Short Ribs – Dutch Oven
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This Beer Braised Short Ribs – Dutch Oven recipe will transform beef short ribs into the most tender, succulent, and richly flavored feast you could ever imagine. The depth of flavor is unbelievable.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 28mins
- 4 -5 lbs beef short ribs (cut 2-3-inch wide)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups beef stock, divided
- 18 ounces stout beer (I used Guinness)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2. Add oil to dutch oven, set stovetop burner to medium-high heat and brown short ribs seasoned with salt and pepper on all sides. Work in batches if needed.
- 3. Remove short ribs from Dutch oven and set aside.
- 4. Add onions to Dutch oven and saute in remaining oil until tender and beginning to brown.
- 5. Add garlic, celery, and carrots and saute for five minutes longer.
- 6. Add tomato paste and sugar, cook for a minute longer.
- 7. Add 1 cup of stock to deglaze the dutch oven, scrapping all brown bits accumulated at the bottom of the pot, then add remaining liquid.
- 8. Return meat to the dutch oven and add remaining ingredients.
- 9. Bring stew to a simmer then place lid on dutch oven and braise in the oven for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Meat should be exceptionally tender when finished cooking. Cook longer if still tough.
- 10. Taste for salt and adjust as need. This recipe really shines when properly salted.
- 11. The stew can be enjoyed right away, however, the flavors intensify if allowed to meld overnight. This is a great meal to make ahead. To reheat, place in a 350-degree oven for 1 - 1/2 hours.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION