Beef Tips and Mushrooms Braised in Red Wine
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 20mins
- flour, for dredging
- black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef tips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced thick
- 1 onion, quartered pole-to-pole and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- minced garlic, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge beef tips in flour.
- Heat oil until smoking in a large skillet. Add beef and brown. Turn to brown all sides. Transfer beef to slow cooker.
- Add onion and mushrooms to skillet. Cook until soft and browned. Add to slow cooker.
- Deglaze skillet with wine, scraping up any browned bits from the pan. Add to slow cooker.
- Add boullion, tomato sauce and garlic to slow cooker. Cook on high 2-3 hours or low 5-6 hours until beef is very tender.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and stir well. Serve over mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!