Beef Stew With Red Bell Pepper
photo by BobtailTeddy
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 350 g of diced stewing beef
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 cup white wine or 1 cup sherry wine
- 3 cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- olive oil
- Brown the diced beef in olive oil in the saucepan and leave aside for later.
- Chop the onion, the garlic clove and the pepper very thinly. In the remaining oil, sauté the finely chopped vegetables. Note: if you're not going to use a blender with the sauce and prefer it with chunks, a thinly chopped pepper will release its flavour more efficiently.
- Once the onion is golden and translucent, add the white wine, the salt and the black pepper. Add some water (for now fairly roughly, just to keep it liquid). Now it's the moment (OPTIONAL) to emulsify it with a blender.
- Add the thyme, the rosemary, the bay leaf and the cloves.
- Add the meat and the potato (chopped chunky), cover with more warm water. Place a lid on top and leave on medium heat to finish cooking. Don't allow the mixture to boil very vigorously, just enough to cook the meat. In a pressure cooker it will take around 15 minutes but it varies a lot depending on the model. With a saucepan, it will usually take around 45-50 minutes.
- Remember to keep watching the water level if in a saucepan to avoid too much water loss. Add water when needed, try the sauce if in doubt to tell whether it needs further adjusting with salt/pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!