Beef Stew (Cooked in the Oven)
This is the richest beef stew I have ever eaten. It is so rich and wonderful that I have served it at dinner parties. Please be prepared to cook it for longer than recipe states. The results are worth every bite. I got this recipe from a Land O'Lakes cookbook.
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 30mins
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 2 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 medium red potatoes, halved
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 medium onions, halved
- 1 (8 ounce) package white mushrooms, halved
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In Dutch oven, place chopped onions, bacon and roast.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until bacon and roast are browned (8-10 minutes).
- Stir in vegetables.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cover; bake for 1 1/2 hour.
- Uncover; continue baking, stirring occasionally, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until roast is fork tender.
- NOTE: This recipe takes a long time to cook.
- Please allow yourself extra cooking time just in case.
- If your potatoes and onions are large, please quarter them.
- I have had to finsih this off boiling on the stove because my guests were waiting.
- The flavor just got more intense.