Beef Sausage Hot Dogs With Basil & Lemon Mayonnaise
- Ready In:
4 Beef Sausage Hot Dogs with Basil & Lemon Mayonnais
- 4 thick beef sausages
- 1⁄4 cup tomato chutney
- 1⁄4 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 4 long crispy bread rolls (I recommend ciabatta)
- 1 tomatoes, halved, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cucumber, peeled if your cucumber is not a thin-skinned variety, thinly sliced (optional)
- baby spinach leaves, to serve
- sea salt, to taste (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
- basil, &
- 1⁄2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- To make the Basil & Lemon Mayonnaise, place all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir until they are well-combined; set aside while you cook the sausages.
- Cook the sausages under a medium to hot grill, turning occasionally, until they have browned all over and are cooked right through, or if it's summer and you have a BBQ, bung them on the barbie (Aussie for "put them on the barbecue").
- Cut lengthways slits in the sausages, three-quarters of the way through; divide the chutney evenly among the sausages (in the slits) and sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the chutney.
- Return the sausages to the grill (or the barbie) and cook them for a further 2 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Cut the rolls lengthways in half, being careful not to cut them all the way through; spread the cut sides with the Basil & Lemon Mayonnaise; divide the tomato slices (and cucumber slices if you're using cucumber) between the rolls; add the optional salt and pepper (if using) on the tomato (and cucumber) slices, sausages and baby spinach leaves evenly between the rolls; and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
July 2008 update: VERY happy to be back on Zaar after about a two year absence due to having had no internet connection at home, and having been too unwell for a time so that getting re-connected wasn't even a priority! <br> <br>And really looking forward to getting back into the Zaar world and connecting again with the many wonderful people I knew before, and new people, of course!