Beef Provencal Casserole
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 200 g field mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800 g lean beef, diced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 400 g diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, seeded and sliced
- Preheat oven to 170C (340F).
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over high heat.
- Add onion, mushrooms and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Transfer to a large, ovenproof dish.
- Toss meat in flour.
- Heat remaining oil in frying pan and cook beef, in 2 batches, until well-browned. (Don't worry, the beef will catch on the bottom, just add a bit more oil. It will all come off when the stock and wine is added).
- Transfer to onion and mushroom mixture.
- Add tomato, wine, stock and capsicum to frying pan and bring to a gentle boil, scraping up any bits of beef stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add to casserole dish.
- Cover and transfer to oven to 1 1/2-3 hours. Remove lid and cook for a further 30 minutes, or until meat is tender.
- Serve by itself or with mash potatoes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love cooking and enjoying finding and trying out new recipes! Nothing makes me more happier than to see people enjoying the foods I've cooked! I currently live in New Zealand, but was born in America and I have lived in Singapore too. So I've pretty much traveled the world.