Beef or Venison Stroganoff
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs beef steaks or 2 lbs venison steak, 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon or 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- Cut steak into 1/2 inch wide strips about 1 1/2 inches long.
- Saute mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter in a large skillet until tender, not brown. Remove from pan.
- Brown steak in the same pan.
- Mix the water, bouillon, salt, worcestershire and paprika; add to skillet and heat to boiling.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Mix the water and flour until smooth. Stir into the skillet. Add the vegetables and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and sour cream to the skillet and heat, stirring smooth. Do not boil.
- We serve over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a stay at home mom with 3 adorable children-an 8 year old daredevil son, a 5 1/2 year old princess and a wild little 2 year old girl! I love to cook, and like having my little helpers in the kitchen! I usually love recipes that are completely from scratch (I still love them actually) but right now my focus is on having any kind of food ready by mealtime! It's a little crazy here lately. Every summer we have a huge organic garden, apple orchard and raspberry and blueberry patches, along with a woods full of wild foods waiting for me to learn what they are so I can collect them. I'm learning about wild mushrooms first, so if anyone has any tips, let me know. We also eat wild venison which my husband and I hunt ourselves. It's our favorite meat, since it's lean, organic and cheap! Some of my hobbies are: hiking, biking, rock climbing, gardening, playing in the water with my kids, or just swinging in the hammock with a good book. I go stir crazy if I spend too much time inside.