Beef Liver Chinese Style
From the HARROWSMITH COOKBOOK with thanks to a Ms. C. Suche of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, who suggests serving this unusual and tasty liver-dish on a bed of stir-fried beansprouts.
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, shredded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 1 lb beef liver, sliced into 1 inch squares or thin strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 -3 onions, quartered
- 10 mushrooms, sliced
- Combine soy, honey, sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic and peppercorns.
- Pour over liver and let sit and for at least 2 hours (but preferably overnight), stirring occasionally.
- Remove liver from marinade, shaking off the peppercorns.
- Strain marinade and dispose of solids.
- Combine strained marinade with cornstarch and stock and then set aside.
- Heat oil and saute onions and mushrooms until limp.
- Add onions and mushrooms to marinade.
- Saute liver until lightly coloured.
- Pour marinade-onion mixture into pan and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I was looking for something different than the traditional liver and onions. Tried this recipe and loved it, well everyone loved it! I added 4 strips of maple bacon to it, not only did it improve taste it improved smell, instead of my house having that heavy liver smell, it smells like bacon. :PReply
see 3 more