Beef Curry With Apples and Raisins
photo by Seasoned Cook
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs boneless beef sirloin, cubed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with the back of a knife
- 12 ounces beef stock
- 3 large apples, roughly chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 potatoes, chopped (peeled if desired)
- 2 cups couscous, cooked
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a Ziploc bag. Add meat and shake until evenly coated.
- Heat oil in a skillet and brown meat in batches until caramelized. Remove from skillet and drain excess oil as needed.
- Sauté onion with a splash of beef stock until softened. Add bay leaf, curry powder, cloves, Splenda, and remaining stock. Bring to a simmer. Add meat and any accumulated juices. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for an hour.
- Add fruit and potatoes to the pan and cook, covered, for another 45 minutes. Discard bay leaf, cloves, and garlic. Serve over the cooked couscous. (It's also good over rice).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Everyone loved this dish. It was very tasty. I used dried cranberries instead of raisins because I had them on-hand and they tasted perfect. Next time, I'll use harder apples better suited for cooking - mine kind of disappeared in the sauce - yummy anyway. I didn't peal the apples or the potatoes and no one noticed :).
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a mixed media jewelry designer transplanted to the desert...and now the mountains... from California. I enjoy journal writing, watercolor painting, driving my cat crazy, and baking bread. Favorite Cookbook? The Dairy Hollow Soup and Bread Book...my favorite things to cook.