Beef Chuck Steak W/Onions & Peppers
photo by shylah m.
- Ready In:
- cooking spray
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck steak, cut in serving size pieces
- 1⁄2 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced (I used frozen red, green & yellow peppers)
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Season meat with salt.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Coat with spray oil and add beef.
- Brown beef on both sides.
- Remove beef from skillet and add onions and peppers.
- Saute onions and peppers (and mushrooms, if using) about 3 minutes.
- Add beef broth to skillet.
- Return beef to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Mix together water and cornstarch and add to skillet.
- Stir constantly until gravy is thickened.
- Pour gravy over meat and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I saved it by adding tons of stuff which kinda of ruins the idea of a recipe. Bland. And I used the mushrooms and several different colors of peppers. I love potroasts of all kinds, but this needs a lot of work--bay leaf? worcestershire? thyme? garlic? something for flavor. Have to agree with a previous reviewer--very very plain.
see 10 more reviews
seasoned with fresh pepper, sea salt, garlic and inst3ead of regular onion I used green onions, mushrooms green and red peppers (for color). I lightly floured the steak for browning and used butter to brown it. Instead of beef broth used Vegatable broth and instead of surface cooking (all prep done in cast iron skillet!) I covered and baked in 300 degree oven for 1 hour. Removed it from oven made a slighly thick flour rue added a smitdge of kitchen bouquet and waaaaallllllaaaaa! Excellent recipe for my family. Served with a baked potatoe and fresh leaf salad