Beef Bolognese - Delish!
photo by FLKeysJen
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth, low sodium, plus more if needed
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups tomato sauce, plus more if needed
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- In a food processor, pulse the onions, garlic, celery and carrots until finely chopped.
- In a Dutch oven (or large soup pot), heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion mixture with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the broth and the red and white wines and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, ketchup, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, 1 t. salt and 1/2 t. black pepper. Bring to a boil,then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes. Check on it occasionally during the cooking time and add more broth or tomato sauce if a saucier consitency is desired.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Serve the beef bolognese over any pasta and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm so pleased that I tagged this recipe. DH enjoyed his dinner last evening more than he has anything in a long time. My adaptations were to omit the ketchup and to replace the wined with beef broth. To us it was ideal and I was instructed to print and keep this one *wink*. Thank you ,my friend, for something that finally made him a happy camper. Super easy and quick for a pasta sauce. I did have to let it simmer slowly for closer to an hour and a half as he was late getting home. It didn't harm the sauce in any way and, in fact, it had a very deep and rich flavor. Kudo's on your wonderful recipe.
see 5 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello! I have a wonderful husband and two fantastic kids. I love to read, have fun with family and friends, stay active with: running; soccer; golf; biking; hiking; and gardening. I love to travel. I'm looking forward to more international travel someday. Cooking has become a passion for me. I love to read cookbooks, watch the Food Network, and try new recipes. I have way too many cookbooks! A few of my favorites are: Barefoot Contessa (any - but especially 'Family Style'),Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals 2, Roasting by Barbara Kafka, Beyond Parsley & The Black Dog Summer on the Vineyard Cookbook. I try to carefully choose recipes that I think my family will enjoy, which is why most of my ratings are 3-5 stars. Happy cooking!