Beef Barley Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is a hearty winter soup and makes a great leftovers (if there's any left). I altered a recipe from a box of barley to suit my family's taste. It's a great cold winter day meal.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1⁄2 lb beef sirloin steak, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 7 cups beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup medium barley
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (9 ounce) package mixed vegetables
- In a 4-quart saucepan, brown meat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender; drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except frozen vegetables.
- Cover, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add frozen vegetables and cook about 10 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Note: Add more water if soup becomes too thick upon standing.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Absolutely excellent! Don't underestimate the simplicity of this dish. It is so very well balanced. I added the barley to brown with the onions, added some Knorr dry french onion soup mix instead of the bullion and the frozen veggies is used were petite diced peas and carots as well as using petite diced tomatoes and dicing my meat petite as well. It was beautiful and a "10" in my book. Thank you so much...... :)1Reply
see 5 more